Your Legal Rights


My Landlord Has Locked Me Out; Is There Anything I Can Do?

If your landlord has changed the locks or cut off the water or electric service to your rental unit, you can file a Petition with the General District Court.

At your hearing, you can ask the Judge to:

Order your landlord to let you back in; or

Order your landlord to restore electricity or water service; or

Terminate your rental agreement and order the landlord to give your deposit back.

The Petition you need to file is called Tenant’s Petition for Relief from Unlawful Exclusion . It is available from the Clerk of the General District Court.

This is legal information. If you want legal advice that is specific to your situation, you need to talk with an attorney. To find out if you are eligible for free legal advice or representation, you can contact Southwest Virginia Legal Aid at or you can call toll free at 1-888-201-2772. | 1-888-201-2772

Made with FlippingBook - Online catalogs